Verification

January 29, 2011

Proud Aunt

This morning I went to see my niece play basketball. It was such a sight to behold. As I was watching her run up and down the court, slipping her hand in to hit the ball out of her opponents hand or just guarding her appointed with great vigilance, I was elated. Elated because I remember when she was about 5 or 6 years old and just starting out with the local YMCA. I remember her along with the other small children on her team and the opposing team too, just running up and down the court with no sense of purpose. They were just out their trying to learn the game or just pleasing their parents. Whatever the reason, the persistence has paid off and she really has improved. I have seen her evolve as a female athlete and as a human being.

The countless hours my sister and mother have spent taking her to and from practice, loading her up for AAU games, or local school games has been time well spent. If she ever reads this, I want her to know that Auntie is proud of her and I look forward to seeing her play more games. I want to tell her "Thank you" for not quitting even though sometimes she felt like it. Like the time she was playing with a less productive middle school team or some of the slow starts with her AAU teams (smile).

Time indeed brings about a change and I look forward to seeing her play more games. Go Girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment